Book Review: Midnight Runes by Celeste Buie!

Title: Midnight Runes 
Series: (The Bestowed Ones #1)
Author: Celeste Buie
Published: May 21st 2014
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance

AMAZON
Brynn Emerson has always been in control of her life — until a mysterious stranger invades her dreams and her boyfriend, Trevor, suddenly dumps her. Life gets more complicated when secretive newcomer Landon shows up at school. The playful and handsome Landon is somehow connected to Brynn’s ex-boyfriend. Determined to find out how they know each other, Brynn draws closer to Landon… only to realize too late that she's risking more than she thought possible. 

Meanwhile, a person of power has his sights on Brynn. Will Trevor and Landon work together to keep her safe? Or will she be pulled against her will into their mysterious world?


“Make him work to keep your affection. He’s worth it.”
“Which guy?” I asked, but she smiled and shook her head.
It was interesting that the main character or MC had a boyfriend at the beginning of the novel. Most of the books I’ve read had a boyfriend or will have a boyfriend. I liked that this was an exception. 

I expected this to be action packed or at least fast paced but the storyline dragged on. Half-way through and I’m still waiting for something to happen. Brynn’s group everything a 4th year student could do but still no sign of the Paranormal aspect of the plot. 

Another thing is that Brynn accepted the magical/paranormal things right away. The dreams, the fortune teller, the runes and everything associated with it. It’s like she was expecting it. I would’ve guessed a demon at first but she predicted it right in one go when they confirmed it’s not a ghost. I didn’t like how the story unfolds itself. Unwrapping bit by bit was nice because it keeps the mystery – don’t take too long though - but how Brynn responds and learns things was a bit disappointing. 

What I liked is the humor in between lite and serious situations. It made me smile and giggle every now and then. And of course, two male hotties desperate for Brynn's attention didn't hurt. I was torn between Trevor and Landon because both are frustrating and yet, charming.

Hi! I live in Michigan with my husband, our two sons, daughter-on-the-way, and huge adopted dog. We’ve lived in three cities within this beautiful state and have visited many of the places mentioned in the Bestowed Ones series. One of the most adventurous things I’ve done is horseback ride across the state on the Lake to Lake trail. I love traveling, giving back to the community, and taking on creative projects.  

For exclusive content, announcements, and more, please visit her website and sign up for her newsletter, as well as “like” her Facebook page.




No comments :

Post a Comment